Friday, February 5, 2010

Anne

Submission by Anne

1). I'm Anne. Amazingly enough, I sometimes get paid to play the recorder. I also work half time as a speech pathologist for the 3-5-year-old inner city set. I like it this way. I have never, ever wanted to do just one thing. Music by itself is not enough for me; conversely, life is not quite enough without music. Switching back and forth can be jarring -the music world and the inner-city education world have pretty dramatically different values and norms. Also it can be tough to juggle the gigs w. the steadier life. But it keeps me supple.

I grew up in Bloomington, Indiana, which is pretty much the answer to question #2. I started taking recorder lessons w. the local prof in high school. I have a coupla degrees in recorder performance from Oberlin and from I.U. I also have a B.A. in Psych, another B.A. in Creative Writing, and an M.A. in the aforementioned speech therapy. I rationalize that I am not indecisive, merely, um, broad minded. I'm married and I live in, of all places, Indianapolis. Marriage will do that to you. Most of the playing I do is out of town, which stinks, because I hate almost everything about being a freelance musician (hello, travel) except music.

Damn you, music.

2) I don't really differentiate between early music and music. I do not play a modern instrument. I grew up in early music. It's all I heard and played; Bloomington was, at the time, an early music mecca. I feel like many early musicians have a discovery story, an aha moment when they actually chose early music, bought themselves a ticket, hopped the ship, emigrated from modern-land. I'm the bratty second-generation. I insufficiently appreciate the sacrifices of my elders. My acculturation was accidental, so I take it for granted. This insider perspective is becoming steadily more common. I can't decide whether or not this is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment