Friday, February 5, 2010

David

Submission by David

1) I am the Assistant Organist and Choirmaster at a well-endowed
Episcopal Cathedral in the Midwestern United States. We have two
large organs. One of them, and the music I play on it, relates more
directly to this effort, I think.

2) It is in playing this instrument, a rather fine North-German-style
one by the Taylor and Boody firm of Virginia, and other historical
organs (models or the real deal) that this "early music" repertory
begins to come alive. Sure, I can and do play this repertoire on all
types of instruments -- such is the nature of my profession. But
alone in the organ loft, with the text of the Fifth Gospel,
revelations and Big Questions start to emerge. I now find myself on a
life-long quest to answer the following: what kind of organ shoes did
Bach wear?

No comments:

Post a Comment